1/15/2008

Ninety-nine and a half won't do

A few nights ago.....

I gotta fuck'n take a piss! Fuck all my bladder ain't what it used to be! Trying to zen out, defocus on the problem and recenter. Putting words on this paper....

Another new year. Soon (too soon), I will be another year older. 31 ball drops and what have I learned? I'm trying to make it to the finish line in one piece, and I've learned you can't do it without help. Family, friends, alcohol/independence is a myth. For me anyhow. I'm sure there are those out there who can do it I'm not one. Back when I was a little runt, (and my grandmother made me go to church on Sundays) I had one favorite hymn that I used to love to hear. Usually sung by my great-aunt Mosa (pronounced Moe-Sa). It went simply; “I'm running and I'm running-and I'm trying to make a hundred! Ninety-nine and a half won't do.” Repeated ad nausea, getting increasingly more exaggerated the way old negro spirituals tend to do. Not that I ever wished to live to a hundred years old. God knows my mind would have given way long before my precious body. I have been preoccupied more and more with thoughts of my general health. It may be too late but I've decided that since I've made this new commitment to share my life with someone else, that I should try to hold on a little tighter. Not that I plan on cutting back-I've already dropped my tolerance significantly over the last year. I will however try and work harder on eating better and brushing my teethe more. Possibly exercising every now and then wouldn't hurt either. I've already done a few sit-ups and push ups before work today. Got to stay on top, can't have some young buck trying to knock me out of position. You know what I mean. It's been well over a year since I slugged some one and I know my right jab may be getting rusty. Flogging Molly and Drop Kick Murphy's are coming up though. So I might get the chance soon. Bottom line is that with age comes an added pressure to remain youthful in appearance despite the bags under ones eyes and wrinkles around ones brow. Mosa lived to be 101 by the way.

Some one farted on the bus and I think I'm gonna puke!


----------------
Now playing: Maybe Sprout Wings - The Mountain Goats
via FoxyTunes

No comments: